Townsend not for sale

Andros Townsend is a talented footballer, of that there is no doubt, he has faith in his own ability but has had to learn that at Tottenham now, we play a team game and not an individual based game.

Townsend not for sale


In his early days he was very much a me me me player who was only interested in showcasing his own skills that may have worked for England but didn't for Tottenham. At one point he was averaging 10 shots a game and scored from none of them, indeed hardly forced a save worth the name. When he now cuts inside he still has an eye for goal but he also looks for a pass and has played a couple of nice defence cutting  reverse passes.

That new found team ethic is being rewarded with game time. He has had to develop his game in the Europa League but has forced his way into the starting line-up in the Premier League. Over the Christmas and New Year period he played against both Manchester United and Chelsea, against whom he tucked away a penalty.

He still needs to work on his concentration, his first touch when receiving a pass and learn when to use his skill so he doesn't become predictable and put his defence under unnecessary pressure, especially if the full-back is in advance of him.

Recent Articles
Klinsmann revealed why Spurs had to change
Is Pochettino forcing Lennon out?
Italian knickers in a twist
Winston Reis available, are Spurs interested?
Spurs watch Lopes eat Turkey
Tottenham bid for striker Emenike rejected
Tottenham still chasing starlet with world class potential
Klinsmann - Pochettino is tremendously talented

At the moment he is a happy player and revealed recently that Tottenham have no desire to sell him this window as some newspapers and websites have suggested, Sunderland being the latest destination suggested.

“For the manager to trust you and to throw you in against two of the best teams shows great confidence. Hopefully I can repay that faith in me. 
“He is happy with how things are going. You can see that as I have played the last two games he is not looking to ship me out at the first opportunity. That has given me confidence and hopefully now I can get a run in the team and show what everyone what I’m capable of. 
“2014 was not a good year for me with form, fitness and injuries. Hopefully I’m over the worse of it now and the performances are going to be better and I can get back to the form I had in 2013. I’m not going to look back. You can’t do that. But injuries did come at the wrong time. Now that’s over and in the past, it’s a new year and new start.”