Bertrand vs Rose

The web it seems is now bringing you the story I ran last Monday, that Tottenham want to bring in Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea.

Bertrand vs Rose


Bertrand who is only 24 played in Chelsea's Champions League final win over Bayern Munich, a win that cost us Champions League football the following season.

Article from last Monday
Spurs keeping tabs on Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand

His age, his wages and his reported transfer fee of £5 million, plus the fact that he is home grown, make him an ideal choice to challenge Danny Rose for the left-back slot. Naturally we are not the only club interested in him, Liverpool and Southampton have also been mentioned.

He would give us some leeway on the home grown rule and allow us to sell a player like Kyle Naughton in addition to Jake Livermore.

"It's flattering to hear what Jose Mourinho said but there's no more waiting around for me in terms of wanting to be a Chelsea player. Come the summer I need to be the No.1 left-back, wherever that will be.

"I have ambitions but I have to be realistic as well. I will sit down and consider all my options. Staying here [Aston Villa] isn't something I would rule out. 

"I've had years of playing but since I was 17 I have been on loan, basically. I've spent the past few years at Chelsea, in and out of the team, and the experience I've gained from that is I'm happy just playing. That's what it comes down to in football.

"If you're getting the respect from your peers that you deserve, that means a lot."

He spoke those words back at the end of March to the Birmingham Mail so it's clear what he is after, he wants to be playing and he wants to be first choice.

Recent Articles:
Spurs have been watching Moussa Sow
Tottenham still tracking Fredy Guarin
Hull want half price Dawson
Pochettino will turn Spurs into a force to be reckoned with

Bertrand is not the finiahed article but never will be if he doesn't play. He doesn't dive into tackles the way Rose does and isn't the best defender, but then neither is Leighton Baines as a pure defender. He tends to play short passes and likes to have a shot from distance but his passing could do with improving as could his crossing.

For a former winger Danny Rose is a terrible crosser of the ball so I'd put Bertrand ahead of Rose as a player and with a season under his belt should make s significant improvement.