Pritchard named 2nd best player in League One

While in his role developing our youth players Tim Sherwood sent Alex Pritchard on loan to Swindon Town. There were one or two questions asked about his attitude but not his ability.

Pritchard named 2nd best player in Lreague One

It was rumoured that he though he should be being used more and that he felt he was more advanced in his development than he actually was, the classic case of a footballer thinking he is better than he is. The boy has talent of that there is no doubt and fans who follow our youth were delighted he decided to sign another contract instead of leaving.

There was speculation at the time that Real Madrid and Barcelona wanted him and when Liverpool took Alex Inglethorpe from us he tried to sign him for the Merseysiders. Pritchard having signed a two and a half year deal then embraced a loan move as a stepping stone.

"When all the players came in at Spurs there was not really going to be a chance for me. So the only way I can get proper football, playing in front of crowds, is going out on loan.

"That’s the best way for it. It’s just one of those things. I think in general it has got more difficult with a lot of foreign players – but you can’t blame them, they’re quality.

"Playing in the Premier League is the aim for any kid. I’ve just got to keep working hard and playing good football on a consistent basis.

"I know Tim and everybody like that goes to watch the loan boys. It’s happened at enough clubs – Steven Caulker did it too. It’s got to be done."

Since being at Swindon Town he has matured he feels and is better able to control his temperament which like Sherwood is fiery. That temperament got him sent off against Bristol City and he received enough yellow cards (8) to amass another 3 match suspension.

“It was stupid from me and I reacted but I’ll learn from it, I’m only 20. It was stupid and I shouldn’t have done it, I got my reward. It was great from the boys down there to get a point.

“I think I had four or five challenges on me but it was just stupid of me to react.”

"He’s [Swindon boss Mark Cooper] been good to me. Being a young lad, he’s put his arm around me, helped me out and told me things. I’m learning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related Articles:
Tim Sherwood has been a success
Spurs for Wembley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I just get caught up in the moment in games and get frustrated. I’ll learn from it.”

"After being out for a couple of weeks it was good to come back in against Carlisle, score and set one up and get man of the match.

"We have a young group with some old heads. We’re just outside the play-off positions now, promotion has to be the goal.

Such has been his improvement in the 32 league games he has played this season that the Football League have named him as the second best player in League One.He has contributed 5 goals and 10 assists and when I watched play against MK Dons he looked a talented prospect.

This has been his first full season of senior football and he feels it has helped him focus on the game more, he cites a tackle by former Spurs right-back Pascal Chimbonda, now playing for Carlisle as an example.

“It was frustrating [to be suspended]. I missed three matches, played a game during the week and then came back. Pascal absolutely wrote me off in the middle of the park and I didn’t react. I just got on with it.

“Just don’t react - that’s what they want and if I don’t give it to them they won’t be happy.

“Take the red card out - that was stupid from me. Other than that, (I’ve learnt) there’s no point to the backchat and stuff like that. The referee isn’t going to change his decision so just get on with the game and just put the ball in the back of the net.”

In all he has played 40 games this season scoring 7 times and provided the assist for 11 other goals. His aim to follow Andros Townsend, Steven Caulker, Harry Kane and Nabil Bentaleb into the first team at Spurs is a step nearer.