Has Pochettino finally unlocked Dembélé?

This is one website who have been critical of Mousa Dembélé. He is a reincarnation of Tom Huddlestone, a talented player who could give much more than he does.



That is entirely down to mentality, the ability is there but as he has said himself in the past the motivation isn't, which is a problem. However, recently he has been making the right noises, saying the right things, he has been putting across a message that he hasn't done before.

He recently said he didn't get enough game time but that it was ultimately down to him, he didn't seek to blame others in the way Etienne Capoue did when complaining he wasn't playing because the English didn't understand foreigners.

His latest message to the Tottenham Hotspur official website was along the same lines.

"I'm happy I started and I just try to develop every time I play. I want to show everyone what I can do. 
"I hope to fight for the team and that's the first thing I'll do, fight for the team and try to do what the manager asks of me. There is a good atmosphere in the team and I want to be part of that and prove that I can be important for this club."

The message is clear, the team ethic comes first, players have to adapt to the system, not the other way around and mentality is important. When a player says he wants to fight for his place you generally take that with a pinch of salt because unless a player is motivated to improve, which means having the right mentality, then he'll just continue to do what he has always done, which isn't good enough if a club want to improve.

The message Dembélé gives is a bit stronger than the usual fight for my place, it's more personal which is an encouraging sign. Clearly Pochettino is instilling the right mentality within the players, but the question has to be asked, is it lip service?

Time will tell, I'm hoping it is backed up by an improved mental approach and not just PR words where a player simply says the right things, it doesn't appear to be that way though. Can Pochettino, has Pochettino finally unlocked Dembélé?

Further Tottenham Reading
Statistics may show why Njié is a better option than Austin or Berahino
Redknapp, Dele Alli & history made
Squad photo reveals seasons plan

The Tottenham Shop at Football-Shop.net has Tottenham Hotspur BassBuds Luxury Headphones as well as 296 other products in the Spurs range.