Alex Pritchard Q&A

Brentford manager Mark Warburton convinced Tottenham's highly rated 21 year-old Alex Pritchard the Bees was the club to take his next step.

Alex Pritchard Q&A


Pritchard, who signed a new 2 year deal with Spurs, agreed having watched and played against Brentford in League One, where he was on loan with Swindon Town last season.

Q - How did the move to Brentford come about?
A - “I heard about the move, and obviously knew Brentford had gone up to the Championship. I played against them last year and thought it would be a good move for me – the next chapter to play some football.Playing in the Championship against some great teams and I can’t wait to start.

Q - What made you choose Brentford to join with other clubs after you?
A - “The way they played last year. I enjoyed watching them; it’s what I wanted to do.”

Q - Last seasons games were feisty, does that cause any problems?
A - “That’s just football at the end of the day. When you’re on the pitch you’ve got no friends. We’ve had a bit of banter already in the changing room and I’m going to get a bit more. I’m looking forward to it and getting to know the lads.”

Q - How would you describe your playing style?
A - “I get on the ball and try and make things happen, create assists and score a few goals.

Q - You were fired up at times last season and against Brentford, what are your goals this season?
A - “As soon as you go over the white line, you’re fired up, but I've learned a lot and want to carry it on. First of all, get the shirt. I need to work hard, impress in the last couple of weeks we've got and see where it takes me.”

Q - What was it like coming back to Spurs from Swindon last season and making your debut?
A - “Coming back from Swindon, I thought to myself ‘I’ve got to get on to the pitch this season, just to see what it’s like. To come on in front of thousands of people, I enjoyed every minute of it.

“When I heard I wasn’t going to be playing in the last game of the season at Swindon, with my birthday being on that day, I thought I was going to come back to Spurs and just train. Then they said I was training with the first team so I always thought in the back of my mind that I might get a chance on the pitch, and I did.

Q - Did you benefit from going on loan to Swindon?
A - “The time at Swindon has been great for me. I’ve loved every minute of being there, being with the boys – and a few of them being from Spurs. I needed to get out and play proper football, men’s football, first-team football and I’ve done it this year.

Q - What does the future for you?
A - “I like to get the ball in the pockets, a bit like Christian Eriksen, but obviously he’s got a bit more on me! I’ve just got to keep plugging away and hopefully more games will come.”

Recent Articles:
Friedel Q&A on Seattle game
Give Pochettino a chance for gawds sake
Rodriguez prepares to leave Southampton
Tottenham Transfer News Recap
Cristian Ceballos catches they eye
Incredibly some fans moan about players performance
Ugo Ehiogu Spurs new Head of Football Development

A move to a Championship club was always going to be the next step for the England Under 20 international and their were plenty who were interested in signing him. He rather caught the eye with his performances for Swindon scoring 8 times and making 11 assists from 44 games.

So impressive was he that he was nominated for Football League Young Player of the Year and came runner-up in the League One Player of the Year award, beaten by a Brentford player.

He has to learn fast, he picked up 4 bookings in his first 6 League One games and after 13 games had amassed 6. The remainder of the season saw 2 more and a red card for arguing with the ref. Clearly he generally managed to control his fiery temperament and channel everything into his football, taking stick from crowds after only 30 seconds of a game.

His head could have gone down but it laughed it off and simply produced football that made them moan more. The season culminated in him returning to Spurs and getting a run out in the last game. Harry Kane was delighted for him and thinks he is one to watch out for.

“It’s great to see your mates that you’ve grown up with getting on the pitch – especially Pritchard getting on for his first Premier League game.
“He’s a top player. He’s very neat and tidy, he’s nippy, he’s hard to tackle – and he’s got a great strike on him as well. He’s one for the future and it’s a very proud day for him.
“I told him before he came on to express himself. He knows he’s a great player and everyone knows he’s a great player, so I just said ‘get on the ball and don’t be shy’.

Brentford is the next stage of his development, them it will be time to start challenging for Premier League football.