Vertonghen - I'll never be the best left-back

Jan Vertonghen, Mousa Dembélé and Nacer Chadli are looking forward to the World Cup with Belgium being drawn in an easy Group they should qualify from as group winners.

Vertonghen - I'll never be the best left-back


They face Algeria in their opener which may prove to be their toughest game. Russia come next but they haven't won away from home in a year and finish against South Korea who struggled to qualify, don't have a settled side and struggle to score goals.

The 27 year-old Vertonghen was at pains to play down their chances of winning the tournament though.

“Everyone says we can win it, but we are not favourites at all in my opinion.

“We have a nice team with good players who have settled well in the Premier League and some other of the best leagues, but it’s wrong to see us as favourites if you compare us to other teams.

“I think people look at us now because we’ve got some players who are doing well in the big leagues."

Such is the strength of Belgian football at the moment that Vertonghen plays for his country at left-back with Manchester City's Vincent Kompany and Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen at the centre of defence.

Recent Stories:
Bentaleb recalls Gallas advice
Dempsey scores 5th fastest World Cup goal - Video
Patrick Vieira - Players should cheat
Spurs left-back candidate fact files 
Tottenham News Shorts 
Sandro - A divided team won't win 
Italian press - Rooney was a ghost, now we understand the English papers

He doesn't like playing there for Tottenham but is happy to play anywhere for his country, he'd rather do that than sit on the bench.

“Everyone wants to play at the World Cup and I myself am the worst bench-sitter in the world because I want to play every game.

“I have grown in my game over the last year on the left flank. I realise I’ll never be the best left-back in the world but I can be of value for the team.

“To be able to start a game at the World Cup would be an unbelievable experience.”

Belgium are in the last Group, group H so don't play their opening game until Tuesday.

“We are not really feeling the World Cup fever yet. But after the opening game I’m sure it will be different.”