Is Pochettino after Schneiderlin?

French World Cup star Morgan Schneiderlin also hinted on Friday that he could be next to leave Southampton, with Spurs and Arsenal both keen on him.

Is Pochettino after Schneiderlin?


The 24 year-old  has hinted he wants to be part of the Southampton exodus now Mauricio Pochettino has left.

"Listen, I'm aware of Southampton's situation. On a personal level the club know my position and know what I want to do. I had a good conversation with all the directors.

"I've been there for a long time now. We'll see how things go but the directors know my position and what my intentions are.

Everyone has ambitions, everyone has his own future in his hands so we'll see. Every player wants to play on big occasions."

When he was quizzed on whether he would follow the former Saints boss to Spurs, Schneiderlin was not forthcoming.

"I'm not saying anything!"

The Southampton players felt the pressure of playing at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil Schneiderlin reveals after speaking with them.

“I spoke with some of them. Of course they are very disappointed but it’s football. They know they had a lot of pressure on them and they didn’t perform. It’s life.

“They have young players and I’m sure in Euro 2016 there will be another team with them.”

Frenchman Schneiderlin is a former playmaker who was converted to a defensive midfielder by Nigel Adkins, a role at which he has excelled. Part of that transformation was changing his diet and getting fitter, something he had had to improve further to play Pochettino's style.

"Fitness is something I have worked on a lot. When I was in League One I could not finish a game without blowing or after 60 minutes feeling tired on the pitch, so I’ve tried to make sure I eat the right things and look after my body better.

"When I was 18 I thought if I ate a pizza and a lot of takeaways at nights it wouldn’t affect you but it did. Now I eat only healthy French food.

"It has helped me score goals – before, I couldn’t make those forward runs because I wasn’t fit enough to get back in position."

If Tottenham are now after him then that will be on the advice of Pochettino and would possibly indicate that fans favourite Sandro still wants a move away from White Hart Lane.

Recent Stories:
Sign a contract or play reserve football ultimatum
VIDEO - Defoe does it again, 8th goal in 9 games
£8m Ben Davies bid - Rose v Davies comparison
Suárez, O'Hara, Caulker, Cambiasso, Lovren & Bentaleb
Confirmed - Spurs to keep Lamela
The significance of the West Ham wall fiasco
Tottenham agree new partnership 


Quick Stats Guide

Morgan Schneiderlin - Premier League

Appearances: 33
Goals: 2 (31 shots)
Chances created: 30
Passing accuracy: 89% (1,721 successful from 1.927 attempts)
Accurate long passes: 140 out of 175
Accurate through balls: 2 from 3
Key Passes: 30
Average pass length: 17m
Dribbles: 21
Fouled: 31
Fouls: 51
Dispossessed: 30
Total Crosses: 9
Accurate Crosses: 3
Duels won: 49%
Aerial Duels won: 1.5 per game (49 from 78)
Interceptions: 68
Tackles: 113
Average defensive actions: 4
Defensive errors: 0
Yellow cards: 8
Red cards: 0