King - I've spoken to the players

Ledley King has spoken to the two Spurs players who have missed on on a World Cup spot through injury. It is the first time in 60 years that no Tottenham player is going with England to a World Cup, which tells you about our season.

King - I've spoken to the players


Every cloud has a silver lining and while fans don't consider playing for England to be the pinnacle of the game, the players do. It was bad news for England that Walker didn't recover from his groin injury and that Townsend picked up an ankle injury at Stoke City as a result of a Stoke player following through with his trailing leg.

The only good news is that the two players will be fresh for next season, no consolation for them but for Spurs certainly an advantage. Club ambassador Ledley King who himself suffered injury heartbreak at a World Cup, has spoken to the two players and offered some consoling words.

“Injuries are disappointing, but they are young boys and they need to make sure they get their injuries right and come back stronger next season.

“If they do this then they are going to play in the European Championships or the World Cup one day.

“Time is on their side, so they can get themselve’s right again. It is important they take their time over the summer.

“I spoke to them in the last week or so and they are very disappointed. But they are young enough and I don’t think this will be their last opportunity.

“With their ability, they will be good enough for the next one.”

Kyle Walker is only 23 and Andros Townsend only 22 so they both have chances of seeing another tournament. Glen Johnson is 29 so Walker will be vying for his spot for a while yet but the experience would have done him good.

Recent Articles:
Townsend to Everton
Adebayor - I'm staying at Spurs
Player Exodus
Pochettino announcement soon
Lewis/Pochettino vs Levy/Benitez vs Baldini/De Boer


Overseas player play in major tournaments at all levels so are used to tournament football, England's players don't. Clubs don't want to release their players and for some reason best known to the management they play the best players in pointless full internationals while taking people to age group tournaments who are never going to represent England at full level. The logic in this country defies belief sometimes.

Townsend of course received a four month ban and an £18,000 fine for betting on football as a result of boredom. That meant he missed the European Under 21 Championships in 2013 and now this year misses the World Cup, although he will be there as a pundit for ITV.

He credits that ban for changing him and making him think about his future saying in October:

“Last summer was bad for me. I had the chance to go to the Under-21s tournament and obviously, it didn’t happen. But it gave me the chance to relax, to think about the season ahead, to get my head right - I have come back stronger. That’s what I had planned to do.

“Even in the summer, when I was on my holidays, I never dreamt I would be playing week-in, week-out for my club as well as having two caps for England under my belt. It has been fantastic, beyond my expectations. But now it’s down to me to keep my performances going. "

Unfortunately injury struck, he never recovered his form, couldn't get a regular spot in the side and injury struck again. That however was only his first full season and despite interest from Newcastle and Everton he is unlikely to be leaving White Hart lane. Last summer Spurs were quoting clubs £10 million for him, now he is an England international that figure will be significantly higher putting him out the reach of the two interested parties.

Let's hope he and Walker have a think this summer about what they have to do to produce their best for Spurs next season.