Tom Carroll going to Wembley

Spurs on loan youngster Tom Carroll is looking forward to playing at Wembley in the Championship play-offs where he should be joined by another Spurs loanee at QPR Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Tom Carroll going to Wembley


On a season long loan from Spurs the 21 year-old has had the chance to get a full seasons first-team football under his belt and says the play-off at Wembley do not faze him, he's played at the Emirates with 10 men. The pressure just to make it and then the pressure of playing in big games will be excellent for his development and stand him in good stead next season.

"The pressure doesn’t faze me. It’s just like any other game – but the prize at the end of it is massive. With the squad we have here we’re capable of winning it.

"I came on in the north London derby at the Emirates. We had just had a man sent-off, so that didn't help. I felt fine in that environment, so if we do get to Wembley I don't think it will affect me.

"I took a sudden-death penalty against Stoke as well, but I've never been a big penalty man!

"I’ve never played at Wembley so hopefully we’ll get there. For any player it is a dream to play there and it is the best way to go up. It would be a nice experience."

He has had to adapt to the Championship and the fast pace of the game as well as working hard in the gym. His strength has always been as issue so he has been working hard to improve it.

“I think physically I’m doing better, I’ve been doing a bit more in the gym. It’s a completely different pace in the Championship, everything is a hundred miles an hour. 

“It’s not bulking up, it’s just getting it bit more strength. I could cope physically – my running stats are fine, I probably run further than most – but in the Premier League and Europa League teams let you play a little bit and you just have to be good enough to break them down. 

“In the Championship, as soon as the goalkeeper has it everyone is up squeezing you and you have no space or time. It’s different but it’s not too hard to adapt to.”

He is looking to return to Tottenham and resume his career there while QPR are keen to take him permanently. Tim Sherwood is a big admirer of Carroll but as he looks to be leaving the club nobody knows what will happen next.

“My main aim is to go back there. Tim is a great manager so I would love to play for him again. It’s promising that Tim has brought the young players through. It means that if he trusts you then he’ll let you play. The likes of Nabil Bentaleb have done well. If I was there I would like to think I would have got some games under Tim

“I’m contracted at Spurs so it’s down to the two clubs to talk. Making it at Tottenham has got to be my main aim. I’ve been there since I was eight so it means a lot to me. But QPR is a great club and I’ve enjoyed my time here, so we will see what happens.”

Recent Posts:
Former Arsenal player Song seeks Spurs move
Tottenham Fighting
New Manager Search
Another centre-back watched

Harry Reknapp revealed in January when there was talk of Tottenham taking him back then that Tim Sherwood liked him an awful lot and only recently Sherwood himself revealed that Carroll will come back to Spurs and take his place in the squad for next season.

“They’re both [Tom Carroll & Jake Livermore] good players. Jake’s had a good season at Hull and Tom Carroll is certainly one who will come back into the squad next season because he’s good enough for Tottenham.”

Back in 2011 Tim Sherwood enthused about Tom Carroll saying he was good enough to play for Barcelona and that he just needed time to grow a little.

"He could play for them [Barcelona], no question. He's got the lot. He's technically good enough, sees a pass, can pop it round the corner and only Jake Livermore (now at Hull City) runs more than him in a game.
 
''He's one of those who has needed a bit more time to develop physically, he could have got released and I'm sure there are lots of Tom Carroll's who have been released. He's never going to be a giant but he will grow and hopefully not look like the mascot anymore'' 


In 2012 Carroll had a poor loan spell at Derby County where he received a lot of criticism for his ability and performances so had to show some character. He has clearly done that and has now broken into the England Under 21 set up receiving 7 games so far and notching one goal for his country.