De Boer - Tottenham I could be manager of

Is Frank De Boer Spurs No1 choice now that Louis Van Gaal will be going to Manchester United?

De Boer - Tottenham I could be manager of


Stories abound that Van Gaal was tipped off that he should wait for a bigger job and that now an agreement has been reached but not announced. The Dutchman was Daniel Levy's first choice for the role and his second choice Cesare Prandelli ruled himself out by signing a new 2 year contract extension to stay with the Italian national team.

When Andre Villas-Boas left Tottenham sounded out Frank De Boer about taking over. The Dutch media have been spot on with the Van Gaal story thus far but this story originates from Fox News.

They claim that Spurs have made an official approach to the 43 year-old something the former Dutch international denies.

De Boer said to Voetbal International reporter Simon Zwartkruis:

”Spurs? I know nothing about it.”

In such circumstances Tottenham must approach Ajax first for permission to speak to their Head Coach and there is no indication that that has taken place.


At the time of the initial approach De Boer wanted to honour his Ajax contract but now that the club has equalled the Dutch record for the most successive titles, five, when they secured their 33rd title on Sunday. Frank De Boer has managed four of those and also won it five consecutive times as a player in addition to winning the Champions League.

With two Ajax coaching greats, Rinus Michels and Louis van Gaal, not even achieving that he has little left to prove in Holland so may be interested in a new challenge in the Premier League.

He works with youngsters at Ajax so ticks that box for us, he develops players, he is a winner, he has playing and managerial winning experience, he brings plenty to the table. Our youth set up could only benefit for having him involved and if some of what Ajax do to produce all the talent they do can be achieved at Tottenham the club will be in a healthy state.

The Dutch look at youth differently, you can't manage in Holland for instance unless you have coached in the countries youth system. Players think nothing of going to work with the players coming through, it is expected and reduces the gap for the aspiring youngsters. 

Frank De Boer immediately commands respect and recognition for what he has achieved in the game so will give us more chance of signing quality players. However there were rumours in March that he was going to manage Inter next season, something he again denied to Dutch broadcaster Nederlandse Omroep Stichting.

"My future? I'm fine at Ajax. If there is a need to address this issue we'll see what happens, but at the moment I can assure everyone that my departure is not to be expected."

His older twin brother Ronald De Boer who also coaches at Ajax told the Dutch media that he had turned down both Liverpool and Tottenham.

"Frank has already denied Liverpool and Tottenham," he told talkSPORT. "Tottenham wanted to take him in January, but Frank said no.
"He also said no to Liverpool last year. He thought he was still not ready and wanted to learn more.
"Now he’s ready though. We’ll have to wait and see (what offers he gets).
"It's important for Frank to get the right club otherwise he won't leave Ajax. He's very happy there."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/de-boer-turned-down-liverpool-tottenham-says-brother#ywHuuXOFjwpJDulJ.99
"Frank has already denied Liverpool and Tottenham. Tottenham wanted to take him in January, but Frank said no.

"He also said no to Liverpool last year. He thought he was still not ready and wanted to learn more.

"Now he’s ready though. We’ll have to wait and see (what offers he gets).

"It's important for Frank to get the right club otherwise he won't leave Ajax. He's very happy there."

Clearly tempting him away is not going to be an easy task, he is someone the Spurs faithful would be generally happy to see installed as Head Coach. On the positive side he did say to the BBC World Football Show at the beginning of February that he could see himself managing Tottenham.

"Those two clubs [Liverpool or Tottenham] are clubs that I think in the future I could be a manager of.

"I think the history of the clubs and what you can do with the team is my cup of tea.

"I'm not really thinking about it because I'm very happy here at Ajax. I'm not in a hurry to leave because everybody is still happy with me.

"I step in my car with a big smile to go to the club. I don't think I'm finished here but there will come a time when I don't like it any more or the club doesn't like me anymore.

"Then we have to go both ways."
"My future? I'm fine at Ajax," he told Dutch public broadcaster Nederlandse Omroep Stichting.
"If there is a need to address this issue, we'll see what happens.
"But at the moment I can assure everyone that my departure is not to be expected."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/de-boer-planning-ajax-stay#946T9BkS1CF7iKit.99

Clearly there is cause for hope if he has expressed a desire to manage Spurs one day. Sherwood did not welcome those comments but they must have been music to Daniel Levy's ears.
"My future? I'm fine at Ajax," he told Dutch public broadcaster Nederlandse Omroep Stichting.
"If there is a need to address this issue, we'll see what happens.
"But at the moment I can assure everyone that my departure is not to be expected."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/de-boer-planning-ajax-stay#946T9BkS1CF7iKit.99