Andros Townsend is Invincible

Andros Townsend got his chance under Andre Villas-Boas after an injury kept Aaron Lennon out for 2 months. At the time he felt invincible he says.


Andros Townsend is Invincible


Townsend started brightly but quickly frustrated the Spurs fans with no end product. At the time he was averaging 10 shots per game and hardly any of them gave the keeper any trouble. The fans wanted to see him run outside his man and not continually just cut in to shoot himself.

An England call up saw him do exactly what the Spurs fans wanted to see. On a big Wembley pitch he ran at the opposition on the outside, caused havoc and created a goal. He limited his cutting in but when he did he bagged himself a couple of goals and was suddenly the golden boy of English football.

Since then it has all gone a little pear shaped, he had an injury himself, returned when he clearly didn't look fit and has struggled to show any sort of form since with only a rare flash of skill. Naturally with a World Cup looming he is concerned for his place on the plane.

“I want what happened to me at the qualifiers to be the start of something,” Townsend told the London Evening Standard.

“Nobody wants to be a one-hit wonder. It’s all about longevity and I want more opportunities to play for England, especially at the World Cup.

“It would mean the world to me to go to Brazil. Every boy in the country dreams of playing at a World Cup and I’m no different. Those final qualifiers were an unbelievable few days for me. It came at a time where I feared no one. I knew I’d go on the pitch and play well in every single match.

“The day after we played Montenegro I went to pick up my cousin from a Greek school. She is only five-years-old and a few weeks before no one noticed me. I went there this time and got mobbed, by the parents as well as the kids! I knew then my life had changed.

“For the manager to give me my debut in such a big game, it didn’t faze me at all. It was just another match. It all went to plan, a perfect debut for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Articles:
Saturday's shirts go up for auction
Paulinho to Roma
Spurs new boss Massimiliano Allegri
We need someone of Tim Sherwood quality
Sherwood - I can't play an injured player
Spurs Worst Player of the Year
VIDEO: Bale nets wonder winner in the Copa Del Rey Final vs Barcelona
Is it Klopp trap?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“People asked me what got me in that mindset. It was because of the start I had made to the season. I was playing for Spurs against big teams and players, playing well and keeping big names out of the team.

“At the time I felt invincible and it helped when I got the call from England. I could just show what I’d been doing since the start of the season. It’s the level where I want to get back to now.”

If the flying winger can rediscover his stride and find his shooting boots then he may still make the plane yet.